The Knowledge Exchange publishes a bi-monthly journal covering all aspects of planning and environmental law in Scotland. SPEL Journal (Scottish Planning & Environmental Law) launched over 30 years ago and is one of the leading information sources on land use planning and environmental legislation across the country.
The latest edition of SPEL includes articles focusing on:
- Housing supply and the planning system
- The Land Reform Bill and the common good
- Learning lessons from complaints about planning services
- Scottish Ministers’ determination of Recalled Planning Permission Appeals
Key court cases examined in the February edition include:
- Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government v Venn – Aarhus and Protective Costs Orders
- The John Muir Trust v The Scottish Ministers – Protective Expenses Order
- South Lanarkshire Council v Coface SA – Liability for restoration payment
- Hallam Land Management Ltd v The Scottish Ministers – Housing supply and education infrastructure
SPEL was launched in 1980 as ‘Scottish Planning Law & Practice’, to be a journal of record of Scottish planning. When it became apparent that the emerging field of environmental law was strongly linked to land use planning, the name of our journal changed to reflect this.
Written by a wide range of subject experts, SPEL Journal includes accessible commentary on topical subjects and current issues; details of new legislation and significant court cases; expert comment on key planning appeal decisions, government circulars and guidance; as well as notes about ombudsman cases and book reviews.
SPEL Journal is read by decision makers in Scottish planning authorities, planning law practices, planning consultancies, architects, surveyors, civil engineers, environmental managers and developers across Scotland. It is also valued by many practitioners outside of Scotland who need to keep abreast of developments.
An annual subscription to SPEL Journal is £145. For further details or a sample copy, please contact Christine Eccleson, SPEL Journal’s Advertising Manager, on 0141 574 1905 or email christine.eccleson@Idoxgroup.com.